Books and Book Chapters
- In-Press: Melcer, E. F., & Isbister, K. (2019). “Learning with the Body: A Design Framework for Embodied Learning Games and Simulations”. Software Engineering Perspectives in Computer Game Development.
Peer Reviewed Conference and Journal Publications
- In Collaboration with EIS Lab: Kreminski, M., Samuel, B., Melcer, E., & Wardrip-Fruin, N. (2019). Evaluating AI-Based Games Through Retellings. In Fifteenth Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference (AIIDE).
- Kheel, O. & Melcer, E. (2019). Radical Tunes: Exploring the Impact of Music on Memorization of Stroke Order in Logographic Writing Systems. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games.
- Ottmar, E. R., Melcer, E., Abrahamson, D., Nathan, M. J., Fyfe, E., & Smith, C. (2018). “EMBODIED MATHEMATICAL IMAGINATION AND COGNITION (EMIC) WORKING GROUP”. In North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (2018).
- Melcer, E.F. (2018). “Toward Embodied Learning Mechanics: A Tool to Guide the Design of Physical Interactions in Educational Games”. In Proceedings of the 2018 International Academic Conference of Meaningful Play.
- Best Paper Honorable Mention: Melcer, E.F., & Isbister, K. (2018). “Bots & (Main)Frames: Exploring the Impact of Tangible Blocks and Collaborative Play in an Educational Programming Game”. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. CHI ’18, Montréal, Canada. ACM.
- Höök, K. et al. Embracing first-person perspectives in soma-based design. In Informatics (Vol. 5, No. 1, p. 8). Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute.
Festival and Event Presentations
- Mad Mixologist. (July, 2019). Come Out and Play NYC.
- Disaster Awareness Games. (March, 2019). US Census Bureau, Opportunity Project Demo Day.
- ALT-CTRL: Bringing the Body Back into Serious Games. (July, 2019). Serious Play Conference.
- DIY and Alternative Controller Games. (July, 2019). TechTALK: Gaming at the Hardware Boundaries, SEMICON West.
- Gaming for Learning – Fireside Chat with Ubisoft. (February, 2019). Innovative Technologies for Learning Meetup Group.
- ALT-CTRL: Bringing Embodied Physical Interactions into the Design of Games and Learning. (July, 2018). Collaborative Learning of Usability Experiences (CLUE) Seminar Series.